Our September ‘Spotlight Artist of the Month’ is Kate Diaz! At 18, this Chicago-native has already released four acoustic albums, three singles, and played festivals like Lollapalooza, the National Mall Earth Day Festival, and the ASCAP Expo. WorldArts caught up with Kate in her new hometown of Bahh-ston to hear about her new band, her dream-tour mate, and how she’s using the interwebs to take over the music world!
1) How did you get started in music?
I got a guitar for my 8th birthday. I immediately fell in love with it, and I’ve been doing music ever since!
2) How did you hear about WorldArts?
I heard about WorldArts when I performed at ASCAP Expo this past May.
3) You have performed at some pretty major festivals. Tell us about those experiences and how you got to be a part of them?
I am a completely DIY artist, so I apply to gigs online, and I am always ecstatic when I get accepted! Festivals are such amazing experiences to be a part of. To me, it’s the coolest thing to play a set at a festival, and then get to explore the festival yourself and meet/watch other artists.
4) Tell us about growing up in Chicago, and what’s the music scene like in your current city, Boston?
I grew up in a suburb outside of Chicago, and I loved it. I played a lot of soccer, hung out with my older brother, and played a lot of music! I started booking myself online for gigs in Chicago when I was 13, and I am so grateful to the Chicago venues who were so welcoming and open to giving me a chance early on. Chicago and Boston are very different, but I really love them both. I moved to Boston last May for college, and it’s been really exciting to start all over in a new music scene.
5) What are some of your favorite experiences you have had thus far in the music business?
I really like when I get to talk to other artists about their music. I’ve met a lot of really cool musicians at the venues and festivals that I have played, and it’s so great to hear their approaches to being a musician.
6) If you could change anything about the music industry, what would it be?
21+ venues! Different venues have different policies, and I’ve played a bunch of 21+ venues, but it always is unfortunate when either my friends can’t come see me, or I can’t play a show because I’m not 21.
7) If you could go on tour with anyone (past or present) who would it be?
Definitely OneRepublic. I am a huge Ryan Tedder fan, and I love how each OneRepublic album is so unique.
8) For our readers who have never heard your music, explain your sound in 5 words:
Pop, Rock, Indie, Guitar-driven, Lyrical
9) WorldArts is all about giving tools and opportunities to artists. What advice would you give to aspiring musicians?
You can do a lot with an instrument and a computer yourself. Just go for it, and start posting/applying online!
10) What’s on the radar/coming up next for you?
This past summer, I put together a backing band of amazingly-talented Berklee students, and they have been playing at my shows with me. We have quite a few fall dates so far, and I am super excited to continue to play with them!