Genius first started out as Rap
Genius, a humble attempt to annotate rap music online.
In July of last year, the company expanded to annotate all kinds of
text: rock music, poetry, literature, speeches, etc.
That was nothing. Genius is now trying to annotate the
Genius says annotation is a feature that was going to be
included in early versions of the Internet, but the feature
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the tag.
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from … to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet
Well, now any webpage can be annotated by entering “genius.it/”
before the URL. For example, here’s the annotated version of Genius’ Wikipedia
These new features are currently in beta. You can sign up to
become a Genius Beta tester here.
Nina Ulloa covers breaking news, tech, and