Last time I covered David Hyman it was over a lawsuit he filed against Beats for $20
Hyman is the former CEO of Gracenote and founder of MOG, the
streaming music service that was purchased by Beats. He became
CEO of Beats Music, signing a deal that would give him 2.5
percent of the company’s outstanding equity interests after one
year. If Beats Music reached a market value of $500 million or
more this number would go up to 25 percent.
Hyman was fired before one year hit. Beats was later
sold to Apple for over $3 billion.
Now Hyman has a new venture. He has launched a mobile app
called Chosen, a free talent competition that is similar
to American Idol and The Voice.
Chosen has raised over $6.5 million from DCM,
Rhodium Capital, Fosun, CrunchFund, and
others. Chosen’s board of advisors include
Vevo founder Rio Carraeff and Dr. Luke.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the tag.
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from … to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet
Chosen isn’t just a straightforward karaoke app. The app
offers a variety of options: users can karaoke, lip sync,
and use in-app tools to edit their audio and video.
Users that aren’t eager to perform aren’t left out, they
can judge the performances of others. Judges are then
judged by other judges. Hyman plans to regularly add
new features and games to the app.
Hyman wants users to share their performances on other social
platforms. He’s made it easy to share in-app links on
social media, and performance videos can be uploaded to
American Idol and The Voice offer winners a major record deal.
Hyman says he wants his competition to
have useful prizes, since a major label deal isn’t necessarily
a good thing anymore.
Chosen’s first ever prize is a performance slot at Bonnaroo.
One performer will win an all-expenses-paid trip to the
festival for themselves and a guest.
Chosen is invitation only until later this spring. DMN
readers that want to access the app now can enter this code
after downloading: 4134
Nina Ulloa covers breaking news, tech, and