According to a new Nielsen report, 32 million people
attend a music festival in the U.S. each year.
46 percent of these 32 million people are aged 18-34. 51
percent are women and 49 percent are men. Nielsen also
says music festivals are most popular among Hispanics and
African American populations.
The attendees travelled an average of 903 miles to attend a
festival. One third of them attended more than one festival.
That means about 10.7 million people attended two or
more music festivals.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the tag.
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from … to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet
On average, this group of people spends $207 a
year on live music events and digital
*”The data for this study was collected in August and
September of 2014 among 3,805 total respondents (2,581
respondents after weighting). This data was then weighted to
the U.S. Census population based on age, gender, race,
education and household size. The festival fan profile was then
constructed using those respondents, within the Music 360
study, who expressed their intention to attend any one of the
35 fielded music festivals (Coachella,
SXSW, Electric Daisy Carnival, Wango Tango,
Warped Tour, Jingle Ball, iHeartRadio Music Festival, Burning
Man, Spring Awakening Festival, Bonnaroo, Pitchfork,
Summerfest, Sasquatch!, Mayhem Festival, Newport Folk Festival,
Lollapalooza, Electric Zoo, Outside Lands, Rock the Bells,
Bumbershoot, Made in America, Austin City Limits, CMJ Marathon,
Voodoo Music Experience, OzzFest, Firefly Music Festival, CMA
Music Festival, Ultimate Pool Party, Stagecoach, Essence Music
Festival, Governor’s Ball, Ultra Music Festival, Hangout Music
Fest, Country Thunder). Further Music 360 behavior as well as
Simmons data was then tabulated against this custom